|Email ChimaVCardDownload CV|
Call: 1991 England & Wales
Call: 1986 Nigeria
Description of Practice
Chima practices in the fields of commercial law, property law, employment law, public law and divorce law. He is a member of the Academy of Experts and Expert Witness Institute (as a specialist on Nigerian law). He writes expert’s reports on Nigerian law and has appeared as an expert witness on Nigerian law in many cases.
- Keazor –v- Law Society LTL 22/1/2009 (Divisional Court) Principles governing the striking off of a solicitor who has been reckless but has not been dishonest.
- Aribisala v St James’ Homes (Grosvenor Dock) Ltd.  EWHC 456 (Ch) Floyd J – principles of exercising the court’s discretion under s.49 (2) LPA 1925.
- Aribisala v St James’ Homes (Grosvenor Dock) Ltd.  EWHC 1694 (Ch) Alan Steinfield QC (sitting as a deputy High Court Judge) – whether the court’s power to grant relief from forfeiture under section 49(2) LPA 1925 could be validly excluded by contract.
- Attorney General of Zambia v Meer Care & Desai (A firm) and Others  EWCA Civ 390 (CA) – Forum non conveniens and Article 6 of ECHR.
- Corporate Carriages Ltd. v Smith and another Chancery Division 7 November 2005 – the fiduciary duties of vendors of shares to the purchaser.
- M-T v T  EWHC 79 (Fam) Charles J – Nigerian parties, jurisdiction and the application of the DPMA 1973 on habitual residence
- Mark v Mark  UKHL 42 (on appeal from  EWCA Civ 168 – whether a person can be either habitually resident or domiciled in England and Wales if her presence in the United Kingdom is a criminal offence under the Immigration Act 1971
- Moses-Taiga v Taiga  EWCA Civ 1399 – Power of appellate court to vary the terms of the grant of permission to appeal and the terms of the order for stay pending appeal.
- R (on the application of Farina HAQQ) –v- HM Coroner for Inner West London and Another  EWHC 3366 (Admin) – entitlement to a dead body where the deceased died intestate
- Abdullahi v Mudashiru  ALL ER (D) 477 (Oct) – duty of disclosure in ex parte applications for injunction.
- AIC Ltd. v Federal Government of Nigeria and Anor  EWHC 1357 (QB) – state immunity.
- Steeds v Peverel Management Services Ltd.  EWCA Civ 419 CA – overriding the limitation period in personal injury cases.
- Arogundade v Brent London Borough Council (2000) LTL 16/10/2000, CA – CPR, Striking out.
- R v Secretary Of State for Home Department Ex parte Benson Isiocha  Imm AR 404 – Judicial Review (Immigration).
- R v London Borough of Southwark ex parte Ahdurim Tafili  EWCA Civ 2005 – denial of relief under the National Assistance Act 1948 on the ground of the applicant’s misconduct.
- Aniagwu v London Borough of Hackney  IRLR 303 – Race discrimination.
- Conrad Samuels v Commissioner of Police for the Metropolis  EWCA Civ 883 (Police powers of arrest).
- R v Secretary of State for Home Department Ex parte Elijah Nkereumen  Imm AR 267 – Judicial Review (Immigration).
- Secretary of State for Home Department v Goussebo (CA) LTL 27/11/98 – reversing a finding of fact made by a lower tribunal.
- R v Lambeth London Borough Council Ex parte Ogunmuyiwa (Times Law Report, 17 April 1997) 29 H.L.R 950 Judicial Review (Housing Benefits).
- R v Greenwich London Borough Council, Ex parte Moult  EWCA Civ 1048 – judicial review of the decision of a Housing Benefit Review Board.
- R v Secretary of State for Home Department Ex parte Adeyibi  Imm AR 57 Judicial Review (Immigration).
- R v Southwark London Borough Council, Ex parte Anderson, 32 H.L.R 96, HC. – Judicial review (homelessness).
- R v Secretary of State for Home Department Ex parte Fawehinmi (Current Law Week, March 31 1995) Judicial Review (Immigration).